Your cart is currently empty
Product image slideshow Items
by Eugene H. Peterson
Used in the Twenties/Young Adult group
Since Eugene Peterson wrote this spiritual formation classic more than forty years ago, hundreds of thousands of Christians have been inspired by its call to deeper discipleship. Our society is still obsessed with quick fixes. But Peterson's time-tested prescription for discipleship remains the same—a long obedience in the same direction.
Following Jesus requires a deepening life of prayer, and throughout history Christians have learned to pray from the Psalms. Peterson finds particular encouragement for today's pilgrims in the Songs of Ascents (Psalms 120–134). With prophetic and pastoral wisdom, he shows how the psalms teach us to grow in worship, service, joy, work, humility, community, and blessing.
Now including a bibliography of Peterson's works, A Long Obedience in the Same Direction is available as part of the IVP Signature Collection, which features special editions of iconic books in celebration of the seventy-fifth anniversary of InterVarsity Press.
Commemorative Preface by Leif Peterson
1. Discipleship: "What Makes You Think You Can Race Against Horses?"
2. Repentance: "I'm Doomed to Live in Meshech"
3. Providence: "God Guards You from Every Evil"
4. Worship: "Let's Go to the House of God!"
5. Service: "Like Servants . . . We're Watching and Waiting"
6. Help: "Oh, Blessed Be God! He Didn't Go Off and Leave Us"
7. Security: "God Encircles His People"
8. Joy: "We Laughed, We Sang"
9. Work: "If God Doesn't Build the House"
10. Happiness: "Enjoy the Blessing! Revel in the Goodness!"
11. Perseverance: "They Never Could Keep Me Down"
12. Hope: "I Pray to God . . . and Wait for What He'll Say and Do"
13. Humility: "I've Kept My Feet on the Ground"
14. Obedience: "How He Promised God"
15. Community: "Like Costly Anointing Oil Flowing Down Head and Beard"
16. Blessing: "Lift Your Praising Hands"
A Long Obedience: An Epilogue